2012 Senior 2nd Round

posted 26 Aug 2012, 13:20 by Unknown user   [ updated 26 Aug 2012, 13:37 ]

KILMURRY 2-6                                   EIRE OG 0-6.


 By Derrick Lynch

The defending county champions will be seeded in the draw for this year’s quarter finals of the Clare Senior Football Championship after overcoming a tough challenge from Eire Og.

Kilmurry were made to fight all the way by the Townies in a relatively low scoring affair. Kilmurry led by just the odd point in five at the end of the first thirty minutes, with real clear cut chances at a premium. In fact it took 8 minutes of play before Peter O’Dwyer finished off a good move involving Martin McMahon and Enda Coughlan to put Kilmurry a point to the good, and two minutes later he doubled his and Kilmurry’s tally with another well placed effort.

Seamus Murrihy, Keith King, Declan Callinan and Noel Downes all linked up to feed Michael O’Dwyer to slot over Kilmurry’s third after 14 minutes, and Kilmurry looked to be in control. Eire Og then finally got off the mark in the 17th minute through a Shane Daniel’s pointed free, and this was quickly followed by a point from Sean Crotty to leave the minimum between the sides. The remaining minutes of the half was real war of attrition stuff as the game got bogged down between both 45’s and some tough challenges ensued. Kilmurry almost grabbed a goal just before half time as Noel Downes got a fist to a Johnny Daly free, but Slattery in the Eire Og goal reacted brilliantly by diving to his right to palm the ball away. That left the half time score reading Kilmurry 0-3 Eire Og 0-2.


Michael O’Dwyer wasted no time at the beginning of the second half, landing a huge point into the dressing room end of St Michael’s Park to give Kilmurry a two point cushion inside the opening minute. Shane Daniels countered for the Townies just a minute later as he scored his second point from a free. But then came the decisive move. Michael O’Dwyer made a gut bursting run into the Eire Og penalty area and was unceremoniously dumped to the ground, leaving Michael McGann with no other option than to award a penalty. Johnny Daly sent the Eire Og keeper the wrong way as he slotted into the bottom right hand corner of the net to send Kilmurry into a four point lead, 1-4 to 0-3 with 38 minutes gone. The next ten minutes of the game were similar to the final ten of the opening half as both sides got very physical, with neither managing to add to the scoreboard. Enter Keith King. The Kilmurry midfielder, who is having something of a purple patch this year with goals, grabbed his sides second of the game. A long direct ball from Enda Coughlan deceived the Eire Og defence, and King read it perfectly as he gathered possession on the 20 yard line and finished to the net under pressure to seal victory for Kilmurry in the 47th minute. Eire Og did claw back three points in a row through two Shane Daniels frees and a point from play by Sean O’Mara, to leave it Kilmurry 2-4 Eire Og 0-6 with five minutes to go. Kilmurry closed the game out comfortably as Darren Hickey raided from full back to kick a rare point, and Niall Hickey scored a real opportunist effort to leave the final score Kilmurry 2-6 Eire Og 0-6.


This result now means that Kilmurry, Ennistymon, Cooraclare and Doonbeg will be seeded in the quarter final draw. 


KIB: Johnny Daly 1-0 (P), Keith King 1-0, Peter O'Dwyer 0-2, Michael O'Dwyer 0-2, Darren Hickey 0-1, Niall Hickey 0-1.

Eire Og: Shane Daniels 0-4 (4f), Shane Daniels 0-1, Sean O'Mara 0-1.