Match Reports 2012

County Champions 2012

posted 23 Oct 2012, 10:18 by Unknown user   [ updated 24 Oct 2012, 04:56 ]

“Jack is back” was the roar around Cusack Park as Kilmurry overpowered St Joseph’s Doora Barefield for the second year in succession to claim back to back county football titles.

In last year’s final, Kilmurry led by eight points at half time having made a blistering start, and this has to have been fresh in the mind of the Doora Barefield men. The pre game talk was of St Joseph’s having learned lessons from that 2011 drubbing, and to their credit they began the game the brightest with some early chances to get on the scoreboard. However, despite some good possession from the “Parish”, it was Kilmurry who registered the first score of the game in the 8th minute. A great cross field ball from Johnnie Daly found man of the match Niall Hickey and he opened the account with a great score from 30 yards. Barely a minute had passed when a flowing move involving Noel Downes, Paul O’Connor and Ian McInerney culminated in wing back Thomas “Ski” O’Connor kicking a peach of a point with the outside of the right boot to increase Kilmurry’s lead. Two became three after some good work from Hickey created the space for Peter O’Dwyer to swing over Kilmurry’s third score in as many minutes. The game began its descent into inevitability as early as the 23rd minute as by this stage, Kilmurry had stretched that lead to 0-7 to 0-0, realistically leaving St Joseph’s with no way back. The industrious Niall Hickey was fouled under the terraced stand of Cusack Park in the 19th minute, and the 2011 man of the match Ian McInerney made no mistake from the placed ball to land his first of three points. He repeated the trick just a minute later after Thomas O’Connor was fouled. Johnnie Daly and Noel Downes linked up on 21 minutes for the semi final hero to kick his opening score, and Niall Hickey took his sides tally to 0-7 in the 23rd minute as he profited from a breaking ball off O’Connor to register the second of his three points. Daly took his personal tally for the year to 2-14 by pointing in trademark fashion from a free in the 27th minute after Evan Talty had been upended. That led the scoreboard to read Kilmurry 0-8 Doora Barefield 0-0 as the game entered first half injury time. Cathal O’Sullivan ensured that the half time score line from 12 months ago would not be replicated as he landed his sides opening score with a fine effort from thirty yards that left the half time score at Kilmurry 0-8 Doora Barefield 0-1.

Unless you are of the Kilmurry persuasion, nobody could have been blamed for making their way to the exits of Cusack Park at any stage during the second half of the game. Niall Hickey put over his third point of the game in the 35th minute, and when Ian McInerney made it 0-10 to 0-1 in favour of the reigning champions in the 38th minute, it was to be the last score of the game from a man in green and red. The game meandered its way to its inevitable conclusion, and despite Cathal Duggan landing three points for his side in the second half, a real challenge never really materialised. Frustrations boiled over for Doora Barefield as Greg Lyons received his marching orders from referee Michael Rock with 9 minutes to go. While it was largely uninspiring stuff for the most of the second half, the reality of the matter is that the champions won without ever having to come out of second gear. They simply outclassed their opponents in the opening half, and saw out the second with a professional workmanlike display.

Receiving the trophy, captain Martin McMahon dedicated the win to all the members of the Kilmurry Ibrickane community who have departed this world in the last twelve months. He also praised manager John Kennedy , and credited Patrick Murrihy with first putting a football in his hands. The bonfires blazed from the Hand all the way back to Quilty, but already in the back of the Kilmurry men’s minds was the prospect of getting Dr. Crokes to Páirc Naomh Mhuire, and to paraphrase the captain, “giving them a right good rattling!”  


Peter O’Dwyer, Martin McMahon (C), Darren Hickey, Shane Hickey, Thomas O’Connor, Paul O’Connor, Declan Callinan, Peter O’Dwyer, Ian McInerney, Evan Talty, Michael O’Dwyer, Niall Hickey, Enda Coughlan, Noel Downes, Johnnie Daly.


Mark McCarthy for O’Dwyer, Odran O’Dwyer for Daly, Ciaran Morrissey for McInerney, Seamus Murrihy for Talty.

Unused subs

Dermot O’Brien, Thomas Lernihan, Seamus Lynch, Darragh Pender, John Sexton, Eamonn Dunne, Gary Sexton, Colm Donnellan, Pat Sexton, Keith King, Aaron Murrihy

2012 Senior 2nd Round

posted 26 Aug 2012, 13:20 by Unknown user   [ updated 26 Aug 2012, 13:37 ]

KILMURRY 2-6                                   EIRE OG 0-6.


 By Derrick Lynch

The defending county champions will be seeded in the draw for this year’s quarter finals of the Clare Senior Football Championship after overcoming a tough challenge from Eire Og.

Kilmurry were made to fight all the way by the Townies in a relatively low scoring affair. Kilmurry led by just the odd point in five at the end of the first thirty minutes, with real clear cut chances at a premium. In fact it took 8 minutes of play before Peter O’Dwyer finished off a good move involving Martin McMahon and Enda Coughlan to put Kilmurry a point to the good, and two minutes later he doubled his and Kilmurry’s tally with another well placed effort.

Seamus Murrihy, Keith King, Declan Callinan and Noel Downes all linked up to feed Michael O’Dwyer to slot over Kilmurry’s third after 14 minutes, and Kilmurry looked to be in control. Eire Og then finally got off the mark in the 17th minute through a Shane Daniel’s pointed free, and this was quickly followed by a point from Sean Crotty to leave the minimum between the sides. The remaining minutes of the half was real war of attrition stuff as the game got bogged down between both 45’s and some tough challenges ensued. Kilmurry almost grabbed a goal just before half time as Noel Downes got a fist to a Johnny Daly free, but Slattery in the Eire Og goal reacted brilliantly by diving to his right to palm the ball away. That left the half time score reading Kilmurry 0-3 Eire Og 0-2.


Michael O’Dwyer wasted no time at the beginning of the second half, landing a huge point into the dressing room end of St Michael’s Park to give Kilmurry a two point cushion inside the opening minute. Shane Daniels countered for the Townies just a minute later as he scored his second point from a free. But then came the decisive move. Michael O’Dwyer made a gut bursting run into the Eire Og penalty area and was unceremoniously dumped to the ground, leaving Michael McGann with no other option than to award a penalty. Johnny Daly sent the Eire Og keeper the wrong way as he slotted into the bottom right hand corner of the net to send Kilmurry into a four point lead, 1-4 to 0-3 with 38 minutes gone. The next ten minutes of the game were similar to the final ten of the opening half as both sides got very physical, with neither managing to add to the scoreboard. Enter Keith King. The Kilmurry midfielder, who is having something of a purple patch this year with goals, grabbed his sides second of the game. A long direct ball from Enda Coughlan deceived the Eire Og defence, and King read it perfectly as he gathered possession on the 20 yard line and finished to the net under pressure to seal victory for Kilmurry in the 47th minute. Eire Og did claw back three points in a row through two Shane Daniels frees and a point from play by Sean O’Mara, to leave it Kilmurry 2-4 Eire Og 0-6 with five minutes to go. Kilmurry closed the game out comfortably as Darren Hickey raided from full back to kick a rare point, and Niall Hickey scored a real opportunist effort to leave the final score Kilmurry 2-6 Eire Og 0-6.


This result now means that Kilmurry, Ennistymon, Cooraclare and Doonbeg will be seeded in the quarter final draw. 


KIB: Johnny Daly 1-0 (P), Keith King 1-0, Peter O'Dwyer 0-2, Michael O'Dwyer 0-2, Darren Hickey 0-1, Niall Hickey 0-1.

Eire Og: Shane Daniels 0-4 (4f), Shane Daniels 0-1, Sean O'Mara 0-1.

Div 1 Primary Schools Final

posted 26 Jun 2012, 13:25 by Unknown user

By Derrick Lynch.

Kilmurry Ibrickane captured their fourth Primary Schools Div 1 title in a row by defeating neighbours Cooraclare in Kilmihil. The game was effectively over as a contest in the first half as some terrific interchanges between the Kilmurry forwards and midfield saw them lead at half time by 2-16 to 1-1. The majority of the damage was done by the outstanding Dermot Coughlan, who contributed no less than 1-11 in the first half. Dermot Coughlan (2) and Paudie Murrihy opened the scoring for Kilmurry before Caoilfhinn O’Dea raised the first green flag of the game after being sent through by Zack Whelehan. Dermot Coughlan then pointed four in a row before O’Dea added another point to his own tally to leave the scoreboard reading Kilmurry 1-8 Cooraclare 0-0 inside the opening ten minutes. Cooraclare got off the mark through a well struck penalty from Colin McNamara. Any thoughts of a comeback were quickly quenched though as O’Dea got his second point of the game before Coughlan hit three in a row to really leave Kilmurry in control. Wing back Daniel Walsh also got in on the act with a fine brace of scores. Coughlan bagged two more points for his team before racing through to find the back of the net just before half time. The final score of the half came from Sean McNamara for Cooraclare to leave the half time score reading Kilmurry 2-16 Cooraclare 1-1.

The second half began at a much slower pace than the first but Kilmurry still registered four points through Eamonn Hanrahan, Diarmuid King, Adam Burke and Zach Whelehan inside the opening ten minutes. Cooraclare then struck for their second goal of the game as a high ball into the Kilmurry defence was knocked to the net by Colin McNamara. Kilmurry responded with a goal of their own though as Diarmuid King’s long range effort found its way to the net to leave the score Kilmurry 3-20 to 2-1 ahead midway through the second half. Dermot Coughlan (4) and Zach Whelehan rounded off the Kilmurry tally in the closing stages to secure victory for Kilmurry on a scoreline of 3-25 to 2-1. Dermot Coughlan finished the game with a hugely impressive personal tally of 1-15, and 8 of the starting 15 for Kilmurry got their names on the scoresheet. Accepting the trophy, captain Dermot Coughlan dedicated the victory to former teammate William Winder.



Kilmurry: Kevin Tubridy, Padraig Conway, David Sexton, Maurice Donnellan; Saul Boyd, Diarmuid King (1-1), Daniel Walshe (0-2); Dermot Coughlan(1-15), Caoilfhionn O’Dea (1-2); Conor Sexton, Paudie Murrihy (0-1), Tadgh Flynn; Eamonn Hanrahan (0-1), Zack Whelehan (0-2), Adam Burke (0-1).

Subs: Damien Lynch for Flynn, Kieran O’Brien for Burke, Adam O’Connor for Hanrahan, David Montgomery for Sexton, Brendan Sexton for Conway.

Cooraclare: Dean Cunningham, Brian O’Neill, Mark Lillis, Tomas Browne; Luke Considine, Fergal Donnellan, Paidi Hehir; Sean McNamara (0-1), Colm Morrissey; Shane Lillis, Colin McNamara (2-0), Eoin O’Driscoll; Cathal O’Gorman, Davy Martyn, Diarmuid Donnellan.

Subs: Ronan Lillis for O’Gorman.

KIB v Miltown O'Gorman Cup Semi Final 2012

posted 11 Jun 2012, 15:24 by Unknown user


Ian McInerney, Darren Hickey, Shane Hickey, Thomas O’Connor; Evan Talty, Paul O’Connor, Declan Callinan; Keith King, Peter O’Dwyer; Seamus Murrihy, Niall Hickey, Ciaran Morrissey; Aaron Murrihy, Michael O’Dwyer, Johnny Daly.


This year’s O’Gorman Cup Final will be a repeat of the 2011 senior county final after Kilmurry advanced to meet Doora Barefield with a comprehensive win over Miltown.

At half time, just four points separated the sides with Kilmurry ahead by 1-4 to 0-3. The Kilmurry goal was the opening score of the game as Michael O’Dwyer’s speculative effort found its way to the top corner of the Miltown net after just four minutes. This was a lead Kilmurry never surrendered. Dessie Molohan scored the first of his three points of the first half in the fifth minute. Johnny Daly and Thomas O’Connor then pointed before Molohan got his second and third points from frees to leave the score Kilmurry 1-2 Miltown 0-3 with ten minutes to go to half time. Johnny Daly grabbed a quick fire double before the break to ensure that Kilmurry would go in at the break with a four point advantage after playing against the breeze.

If the first half was low scoring, the second half was anything but. It took Miltown until the 16th minute of the second half to register their first and only point of the game from play. By then, the game was effectively over as a contest. Kilmurry simply burst out of the blocks and blew their neighbours away. Niall Hickey, Johnny Daly and Michael O’Dwyer all found the target before Keith King continued his recent goal scoring streak with a cool finish in the 45th minute. Just two minutes later he blasted another to the roof of the Miltown net, and this was quickly followed by another from Michael O’Dwyer after he was set up by Johnny Daly to leave the score at 4-7 to 0-4 after 48 minutes.


Things only got worse for Miltown as Peter O’Dwyer, Niall Hickey and Seamus Murrihy all pointed before Molohan converted two frees for Miltown. Ian McInerney and Peter O’Dwyer pointed either side of another Molohan free, and Johnny Daly had the last word on the game as his free left the final scoreline reading Kilmurry 4-13 Miltown 0-7.

Miltown will have to be disappointed with their performance as they registered just a single point from play, while Dessie Molohan was the only forward to score. Kilmurry now face Doora Barefield as they bid to retain the trophy they won 12 months ago  en route to a clean sweep in Clare.







Michael O’Dwyer                                     2-1

Keith King                                                2-0

Johnny Daly                                            0-5 (3f)

Niall Hickey                                             0-2

Peter O’Dwyer                                         0-2

Thomas O’Connor                                   0-1

Seamus Murrihy                                      0-1

Ian McInerney                                          0-1 (0-1f)

Ladies U16 Divison Two Final

posted 21 May 2012, 14:52 by Unknown user

Kilmurry Ibrickane are the u16 Division 2 champions for 2012 after a comprehensive victory over Cooraclare in the final of this year's competition.

The majority of the damage was done in the first half, where Kilmurry registered 6-4 to Cooraclare's 0-4. Corner forward Ciara Hickey was in lethal form and as early as the second minute she slipped inside the Cooraclare defence and scored the first of what would be five goals for her in this game. She also recorded a quick fire hat trick in the first half as she bagged another two goals inside the opening ten minutes. Tara Comber added a goal and two points after Louise O'Gorman and Lisa Falsey had put Cooraclare on the scoreboard in the 10th  and 12th  minutes. This left the scoreboard reading Kilmurry 5-2 Cooraclare 0-2 with just 5 minutes to go to half time. Hickey then bagged her fourth goal in the 28th minute. Cooraclare responded with a point from Falsey again but Aoibhe King and Tara Comber pointed to stretch Kilmurry's lead again. Falsey got her third point of the game in first half stoppage time to leave the half time score reading Kilmurry 6-4 Cooraclare 0-4.


The second half exploded into life just as the first half had and Ciara McCarthy got Kilmurry's seventh goal inside the opening minute. Cooraclare responded in kind through Lisa O'Dea just a minute later, but this would prove to be their final score of the game. From here on in Kilmurry were rampant and Tara Comber scored 1-1 in a minute to quench any hope of a comeback. Chloe Maloney added another two points either side of a Ciara McCarthy goal to leave Kilmurry 9-7 to 1-4 to the good with just six minutes gone in the second half. The impressive Ciara Hickey wasn't finished either and she added another 1-2 to bring her personal tally to an incredible 5-2. Chloe Maloney got her third and fourth points of the game in the closing stages to leave the final score reading Kilmurry 10-11 Cooraclare 1-4. Captain Maura Garvey accepted the trophy as another space was filled in the Kilmurry Ibrickane trophy cabinet.


Kilmurry Ibrickane

Caitlin Campbell, Lauren McCarthy, Niamh Sexton, Gemma O'Neill, Maura Garvey (c), Rebecca Doohan, Aine Cunningham, Ciara McCarthy (2-0), Chloe Moloney (0-4), Molly Walsh, Tara Comber (3-4, 3f), Eileen Lynch, Ciara Hickey (5-2, 1f), Aoibhe King (0-1) , Nicole Doherty.

Subs: Katie O'Flaherty, Kiah Baker, Emma Coughlan, Deirdre Lynch, Claudia Doohan, Jackie Johannsen, Ciara McDonnell, Sarah Maloney, Tara Lernihan



Stephanie O'Donoghue, Aoife Lillis, Elaine Kelly, Megan Downes, Aoibheann O'Sullivan, Sarah Qunilivan (c), Eimear Meade, Aine Looney, Sinead Burke, Lisa Falsey (0-3), Ciara Golden, Louise O'Gorman (0-1), Caoilfhionn Morrissey, Lisa O'Dea (1-0), Aisling Morrissey.

Subs: Niamh Morrissey, Nicole Downes, Grace Quinlivan, Caoimhe Browne, Roisin Considine.

U16 Div 2 Shield Final

posted 20 May 2012, 11:31 by Unknown user

Kilmurry Ibrickane secured the u16 Div. 2 Shield title on Sunday when they overcame Corofin after a tough battle in Ennistymon.

Kilmurry were pushed all the way by the North Clare men but the all the real damage was done in the first half where Kilmurry registered 1-4 to a solitary score while playing against the breeze. The opening score of the game came in the second minute from the boot of Kilmurry corner forward Brian Donnellan whose precise finish to the Corofin net gave Kilmurry a lead that they never surrendered. Two more points from Keelan Sexton and captain Keith Sexton left Kilmurry 1-2 to 0-0 to the good after 16 minutes. Kilmurry were dominant all over the field throughout the first half and this dominance was further compounded when Keelan Sexton notched his second point of the game in the 22nd minute to put six points between the sides. Dean Ruane got Corofin off the mark in the 26th minute with a well taken free, but Sexton responded for Kilmurry to leave the half time score reading Kilmurry 1-4 Corofin 0-1.

Kilmurry had the aid of the breeze and the fall of ground in the second half and added two more points through wing forward Ronan Murrihy and Keelan Sexton. That left the scoreboard reading 1-6 to 0-1 in favour of the men from the west with 15 minutes to go. They didn't have a comfortable run to the finishing line however as Corofin fought back with two more pointed frees from Dean Ruane and a good effort by Conor O'Loughlin reducing the deficit to 5 points heading into injury time. Kilmurry can thank goalkeeper Michael Kelleher for pulling out a tremendous save from James Coutney and Keelan Sexton displayed great bravery to block another goal bound effort as Corofin upped the pressure in the closing stages.


It wasn't to be their day though as Kilmurry ran out winners on a score line of 1-6 to 0-4. The Kilmurry backline were immense throughout, while the midfield pairing of Keith and Keelan Sexton controlled the game brilliantly. Accepting the shield after the game, captain Keith Sexton thanked Corofin for a tough game as well as praising the commitment of all involved with the panel.


Kilmurry: Michael Kelleher, Cillian O'Flaherty, Kieran Killeen, Patrick Flynn, Niall McGannon, Diarmuid Downes, Danny Murphy, Keith Sexton (C), Keelan Sexton, Ronan Murrihy, Padraig Greene, Darren Callinan, Ross Burke, Adam Roughan, Brian Donnellan.

Scorers: Keelan Sexon 0-4(2f), Brian Donnellan 1-0, Keith Sexton 0-1, Ronan Murrihy 0-1.

Subs: Andrew Shannon for Murphy, Kieran Donnellan for Callinan, Sean Comber for Greene.


Corofin: James Hogan, Conor Hillary, Stephen Burke, Cillian Clancy, Sean Hillary, Colm Rice, Shay Malone, Eoin Clancy (c), James Coutney, Michael Kelly, Conor O'Loughlin, Damien O'Loughlin, Dean Ruane, Lee O'Donovan, Aidan Collins.

Scorers: Dean Ruane 0-3 (3f), Conor O'Loughlin 0-1.

Cusack Cup 2012 1st Round

posted 21 Mar 2012, 07:10 by Unknown user

KIB Team

Goals:                                   Peter O’Dwyer

Full Back Line:                   Martin McMahon, Darren Hickey, Shane Hickey

Half Back Line:                  Thomas Lernihan, Paul O’Connor, Thomas O’Connor

Midfield:                             Niall Hickey & Keith King

Half forward line:            Seamus Murrihy, Enda Coughlan, Adrian Murrihy.

Full forward line:             Michael O’Dwyer, Peter O’Dwyer, Noel Downes.


Defending champions Kilmurry Ibrickane began the defence of their Cusack Cup title with a hard fought 1-9 to 1-7 win over Doora Barefield. In what was a repeat of last year’s senior championship final, Kilmurry had to withstand a late surge from Doora Barefield to register the first points of this year’s competition.

Playing into a strong breeze, Kilmurry started brightest and Enda Coughlan got them off the mark with a pointed free. The sides then swapped scores as Coughlan pointed to level matters after scores for Barefield through Davy O’Brien and Cathal Duggan. Kilmurry pushed ahead again as Enda Coughlan landed his third point of the game and Peter O’Dwyer added to this to give Kilmurry a two point lead. Barefield weren’t to be outdone however and two more efforts from Davy O’Brien saw the sides level at four points each approaching half time.

As the second minute of injury time approached, Kilmurry got what was ultimately the decisive score of the game as Keith King’s effort found the back of the Barefield net to give Kilmurry the advantage at half time. Barefield responded with a point to leave the half time score Kilmurry 1-4 Barefield 0-5.


Kilmurry were playing with the aid of the breeze in the second half and rattled off three points through Noel Downes, Michael O’Dwyer and Enda Coughlan. Barefield could only manage one in response and this left the 2011 county champions in a strong position, 1-7 to 6 points clear with 8 minutes to go. Barefield then struck for a goal of their own through Cathal Duggan to leave just a point in it and claw last year’s beaten county finalists back into the game. Kilmurry had to withstand some late pressure but Niall Hickey saw his shot land over the black spot to make sure of the game for Kilmurry who ran out winners on a score line of Kilmurry 1-9 Doora Barefield 1-7.

Ladies Division 3 Round 1

posted 2 Mar 2012, 02:43 by Unknown user   [ updated 2 Mar 2012, 02:45 ]

The Division 3 league kicked off in Kilrush under lights on Saturday evening 25th February 2012.   Kilmurry Ibrickane had an easy win over the home side with a ten goal blitz.   Chloe Moloney started the scoring when she was set up by Karen Galvin.    Indeed Karen herself had a brace of goals, whiel Chloe Moloney completed a hat trick.  Loretta Hanrahan and Edel Lynch also raised green flags, The winners led 6-3 to 1-2 at half time.   Karen Galvin, Chloe Moloney & Teresa Morrissey added goals in the sewcond half
Kilmurry Ibrickane  Leanne Meaney, Lauren McCarthy, Sarah Glenny, Sharon Sexton, Gabrielle McCarthy, Maeve Foley, Audrey Cahill(capt), Bernie Maguire, Fiona O'Neill, Melissa McCarthy, Edel Lynch(1-0), Rebecca Glenny, Chloe Moloney(3-1), Karen Galvin(3-2), Loretta Hanrahan(1-1)
Subs Lilly Moloney, Kelly Power, Rebecca Doohan, Niamh Sexton, Anita O'Dwyer, Majella Donnellan(1-0), Laurna Pender, Teresa Morrissey (1-0), Shauna Healy

1-8 of 8